Tuesday, September 3, 2013

And It Begins!

Training weekend one is completed!

I have said goodbye to the average world and hello to world of a training athlete.  I am excited to have goals and workouts to look forward to.  I am mostly excited to be back to the person I am.  I feel like I am back to my true authentic gay athletic self, and it feels great!

There is the saying "you don't know what you've got till it's gone" and in my case it is my fitness.  I have not been kind to my health over the last couple of years living the gay life.  Going out and partying while concentrating on the beautiful body rather than the functional body has meant that what once was easy is now difficult.  My brain feels great but my body is tired!  Workouts are hard and running is very difficult.

My issue with running at the moment is that my muscle memory dictates that I am on my toes with quick turnover and a driving stride.  This alone is not an issue but since I do not have either the endurance nor the cardiovascular function to maintain the workload, my body starts to breakdown during my limited amount of running.  In my current 4 month block of training my focus is on cycling and swimming though I worry I will not have time to get my running ability back.  I need to trust that it will come back as the most pressing issue is learning to ride a bike fast.

I have had my Cannondale for less than a year now and he is going to be my steady boyfriend.  I am going to be getting on top of him for some hard and long rides.  It is a good thing I am in love.  Compared to my old bike my C Dog is like heaven.  I finally understand how people are willing to spend 5 or 6 hours on a bike.  I am not looking forward to those long rides however I know with my trusty two wheeled lover I will manage just fine, though it is a long way off.

I had a great mental moment in the pool tonight during cool down with my swim club, English Bay Swim Club.  As tonight was the first workout of the year it was low tempo with the focus on technique.  I was thinking to myself that I needed to do more and was contemplating going out for a ride after I got home.  The urge to work more after a workout is a sure sign that I have prepared well this summer to train hard but also that my mind is ready to go.  I have had a few false starts with training but I really believe that I am ready to work hard.

The first few months will be the most difficult as I will have ups and downs as my body and mind adjust.  As I push myself into the depths I need to go to be my best I will get sad and upset when my aging body does not respond as I think it should.  I will need to be gentle with myself (and patient with others) as I pursue my Ironman goal.

I had hoped that by now I would have a real boyfriend to help me through those moments when things do not feel right or are not going how I had hoped.  The dream has not happened and I continue to venture through this world without the support and love of a romantic relationship.  Being back into my bubble of selfish focus means the prospects are again going to be limited.  A prospective mate will have indulge my eccentric and alternative triathlete lifestyle.  In the gay world he will have to be truly one of a kind (just like me!).

Happy Training!



No comments:

Post a Comment