Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'll Get Right Back To You...

I have encountered a common thread amongst people these days. This is the empty promise to 'get back to you' or a total lack of response.

In our current technology infused world has it become acceptable to not respond to a message or blow people off with empty promises to 'get back to you' or by saying 'I'll be in touch'? I have had a bit of a surge in this type of communication lately, or should I report a lack of communication. I am the type of person who believes that if someone is going to take the time out of their day to think of me and send me a message then I am surely going to return that message in as prompt a fashion as possible.

I understand people are busy in today's run, run, run culture. But seriously, If I can manage to return e-mail messages/text messages, written correspondence, work full time, perform activities of daily living/instrumental activities of daily living, train full time, socialize and volunteer then you certainly should have the time to return my message. Or maybe it is not that important to you. Maybe I am not that important to you.

The thing with ignoring messages or not following through on your word is that it tells the recipient of the snub that you do not think that person is a meaningful part of your life. If a prospective boyfriend does not return your calls it means he is just not that into you. If a friend does not return your messages does it mean the same? I am beginning to think yes.

My professional training tells me that one should be assertive in situations such as this and explain to a person, using me words, that "I feel unimportant and that our friendship is not important when you fail to return my messages or say you will do things and you do not." What I think I am actually going to do is just say nothing at all while thinking Fuck You. When you get around to getting in touch with me I may just be too busy to make time for you.

My training is going amazing right now and I am very excited to begin racing. I have registered for a few races. This weekend I am doing a ski race at Mount Baker. I am hoping to get a run in at the top of the mountain!

Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment