Monday, February 28, 2011

Family

After a weekend of 'training' at altitude I am slightly sad to be back in Vancouver. I would have loved a few more days up in the mountains to carve the slopes and skate the trails. I had a wonderful weekend and even managed a great skate ski once the snow warmed up and we got some glide.

On the way back to the city, on the very snowy highway, I read a section from Kristy Clark's speech after winning the BC Liberal leadership. As the Liberals are in power in BC Ms. Clark will become the next Premier of the province. Clark said something along the lines of; She is here for BC Families. BC families are at the center of her reign as Premier and she will work hard to support and protect them and ensure their continued success.

What about those of us who do not have a family here in BC? Does this mean that I now have to support not only my singleton self but also all the double income families in the province? I feel like this new government is not for me.

I feel like a bit of a pariah in today's society. I do not have a family or spouse or even a boyfriend, which means I have no inherent value besides what I contribute to the tax system. Although I add to society through my work and volunteer activities that does not matter as I do not have a family. The priority today is to serve only those with families. The singletons must support those families.

I understand that it is very important to ensure the continuation of our species. I know that families are important to society and a well supported family will bring forth the leaders of tomorrow. I must also voice my outrage with the tag line that only families matter.

I think it is time for us singletons to raise a fuss. I am single not trash. I work hard for the betterment of society and should not be made to feel like a second class citizen because I do not have a family. I am the individual who will actually have to pay taxes this year as I have no possible way to write off half my income because of dependents. Not only do I pay taxes but I also manage to keep the economy running. My contribution to the marketplace (shopping!) is what keeps families employed. I am making the economic contributions to the social support system that will support education, health and infrastructure for someone else's future generation. I deserve a government that represents me as well. I am paying your salary.

To conclude;

Dear Premier Delegate Clark

Please represent all of us in British Columbia. Although the majority in this province have families there are a few of us who are not in families and working really hard to make this a better province for everyone. We are working hard for families and those with no one to help them. Please include everyone, including me. We may not hold all the votes but we sure are trying to effect positive change.

All the best in your future endeavors,

J. MacD.

Happy Training!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, J.D. I don't know what to expect from Clark either, but I guess we owe it to her to give her a fair chance. And let's face it, if we don't like what she's about during this brief trial run (while she replaces Campbell), I guess we can always speak with our votes in the upcoming election (although I sure as hell don't want the NDP in).

    ReplyDelete