Monday, January 31, 2011

Well Endowed

When my running gets a bit stale I like to change the venue. I have been working at UBC and thus I have been able to run in the endowment lands. I am feeling rejuvenated!

Today I ran 30 minutes in total and followed my running workout with a pull set in the pool. I have no pain in my foot and I am not even limping. My legs were a bit tired from a crazy night of dancing on Saturday night and a hard 500 meters of kick in the pool yesterday. Generally I felt really good and bit antsy to run hard. I am still taking it slowly and trying to improve my fitness by combining different modes of exercise to ease pressure on my foot.

The training is going slowly but I am confident in my plan. I am easing along so that I do not get a training induced depression or further injury. I am doing drills to maintain my strength and weights to improve my physique. I am also eating a great deal of food to maintain my weight and prevent injury. I am excited!

I have been a bit fired up lately about many different things. I have a certain policy with my blog that I will not write on certain subjects. I will not write about anything connected with work besides that I am fortunate enough to work in one of the most dynamic and amazing health care professions in existence. I am an occupational therapist!

For those who do not know what an Occupational Therapist is, I will explain. We are concerned with getting people who are sick back to the activities that they have to do. Much of my work is concerned with ensuring people are safe to go home from hospital. For instance; Grandma lives alone in an apartment. She will have to bathe by herself and will be preparing her own meals. I will meet your grandma and within a few minutes of meeting her I will have an inkling that she has a bit of dementia or delirium going on. I will do a cognitive assessment to show that grandma is going to burn the house down if she goes home alone. I also noticed she cannot dress herself without falling over. I will tell the doctors that Grandma should have blood work done for a delirium or a complete assessment for dementia and that at her current functional status is unsafe to go home alone. I have just saved your grandma's life. To summarize, Occupational Therapists are the safety net in the hospital.

I am an Occupational Therapist and I am concerned with how you complete the activities that give your life meaning. You may mistake me for a physiotherapist but I am not. Grandma may be able to walk around the block but if she cannot remember where she is than she is kind of screwed. I make sure she will know where she is. I am not a nurse. I do not wipe grandma's bum, I ensure that she can do it herself when she is discharged. I am not a doctor. I still care for your grandma when her temperature has improved and her hemoglobin levels are within normal range. I will actually talk to your grandma when she is in hospital and hear what she tells me in response.

I am very proud to be an Occupational Therapist. I am essential to your health care team. I am client centered and my biggest concern is ensuring patients are discharged safely and able to do what they need to survive. Ensure when Grandma is in the hospital you talk to your Occupational Therapist. If you are concerned about her memory, her ability to manage at home, her ability to eat safely or manage her life then ask to talk to an Occupational Therapist. We may just save Grandma's life.

Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment