Saturday, January 22, 2011

Old is New

I ran three days in a row!

Today I ran my first workout since June. This effort pales in comparison to what I have run in the past but it was a good start. I am aiming over the next few weeks to build a bit of endurance and gain some of my speed back. I want to get some fitness under my belt before getting into workouts.

My workout today was a 35 minute warm up followed by full drills and strides. I ran 6 strides in total and one short (300 meters?) stretch at perceived race pace. It felt really good to run fast again and I felt in many ways that I had not taken any time off. I feel stronger than I felt this time last year although I have lost most of my fitness. My time spent in the gym working very hard on my core strength and upper body will provide a little extra speed this summer. I want to maintain this strength and the extra muscle into the spring and summer.

I think I am ready to ease my way back into training. My head has been cleared and I am even starting to dream about running again. It is a sure sign I am ready to train when I start to dream about running and imagine the feeling of running a great race. For the last few months before my injury got really bad I had stopped dreaming of the perfect race. My dreams were of other things like finding a rich husband, winning the lottery or starring on Broadway. My dreams are still filled with pipe dreams and a bit of running too.

With the days getting longer and summer coming up I am getting excited to get my beach body and fitness. Bring on the summer heat and fun. I will be ready!

Things I love

VANCOUVER!! As I was running on some of my favorite trails in Stanley Park today with a thin long sleeve shirt on I thought of all the places in Canada that are under snow right now. What a glorious city I live in! The daffodils are almost up and starting to bud outside my apartment building. They are in the flower bed below the palm tree. Not kidding!

Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment