Saturday, October 16, 2010

Autumn Awakening

I had an amazing run today!

Autumn is a time to run. This is cross country time when people turn their attention from the sun baked asphalt and look to the emerald green hills and vales for a good challenge. The air is crisp and clean and the light has an amber tinge. For a runner who has been through the university system this is the most wonderful time of year.

After my break during the summer I have been a bit nervous heading out to run. I am wondering how long it will take to get my stride back and if it will ever become easy to run again. With the sun shining brightly and air fresh with a hint of ocean breeze I ventured out of my apartment building to stretch my legs and work the lungs a bit. Initially I felt a bit sluggish and sore from yesterday's run but that feeling was quickly gone as my body warmed up and the endorphins started pulsing.

I had a smile on my face for the majority of my run. I tried the gas pedal a bit and the results were slightly surprising. I have a bit of an engine still and was able to hammer a bit of a mile. It felt really good. It felt really good to run. I love to run.

Jogging is nice but I like to run. I like to run hard. There is a freedom about running in full stride that creates joy. If you look at a child run full force across the beach it is rare to see them without a smile. Running can be totally joyful. This is why I want to get into shape again. I want to run with joy!

Tonight I have a swim workout. I have been having a bit of shoulder pain so I took a few days off of weights. The result has been immediate and my shoulder is feeling much better. Am I actually learning to rest my body? No. My foot continues to ache, ha ha!

Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment