Monday, September 6, 2010

Autumn

Autumn has arrived in Vancouver with cool evenings and rainy days. Normally this marks the beginning of cross country season, this year marks the beginning of weight season.

I have started my weight program and I can report muscle fatigue and pain. It is a different experience to be in the weight room not exhausted from a hard long run. I think I may actually like doing weights. I will definitely like getting bigger and muscular. I am still struggling with eating though. I am forcing myself to eat more although it is a struggle.

The transition from runner to whatever I am becoming is much easier than I thought it would be. Every once and a while I am struck with a motivation to run. Then I get distracted and a couple days later I will get a faint urge again. I have run only once in the last week (I am losing track) and I am fine with that. I am starting to lose the felling of having to run. I still have the need to move and exercise though. What is going on? I loved running so much and now I am totally indifferent to this sport that has given me more than I can put into words.

My current indifference may be due to a few reasons, mainly total burnout. Secondly I have been able to pack my time with activities that I have never done because of running. For instance, I went out twice this weekend and was not in bed until the wee hours of the morning on Sunday. Instead of a long run on Sunday I slept in, drank coffee and watched the world go by. I spent the day napping and treating myself. It was a wonderful day of rest and relaxation. I feel a sense of freedom from my usual constraints and it is wonderful.

Another contributing factor to my contentment with my current situation may be dating. I am dating a man. We have been dating for a few weeks and it is nice. I figure I have bitched about being single so much that I should also report when things are good. Things are good.

What I do not want to happen is finding a obsessive need to fill the void that running has left. I have caught myself wondering how I managed to find the time to complete all the many activities I had in the past few years. Now that I have extra time I have packed even more into my schedule. I am going to shows, movies, boat cruises, bars/clubs, concerts and events like they are going out of style. If I am not careful I am going to burn myself out of life too!

I think this is kind of an aimless post, I have no direction to go. Has this become my life? My priorities may just be a bit up in the air right now as I am possibly attempting to find a new balance between my driven and focused personality and the plethora of exciting recreational opportunities that are here in the city.

On the exciting news front I only have 4 days until vacation! Although I have an education day smack in the middle of vacation I am sure it will still be fun. I am looking to take a short road trip and do a lot of weights and swimming and resting and cleaning!

I may have lied a bit. I was thinking about national cross country championships. They are in Vancouver next year. Just saying.

Happy Training!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Honey I'm so happy for you! Please tell us more about this person you're seeing. Is he tall or small? Details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the dating situation. I hope all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete