Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cross Country

It turns out I am making a cross country tour.

My friend who lives in Montreal sent me an e-mail this week saying he saw me in the mall. What he saw was a photo I did for the Fearless project as part of Pride House for the 2010 Winter Olympics. It turns out the exhibit was in Montreal and there I was. This is actually the first time I have seen the image. Go figure.

I did my first workout since Sun Run today and it was a welcome effort. I ran something akin to a combination between a series of tempos and a fartlek (speed play). In total I ran around 10 miles with a 2 mile warm up and cool down with 3 times 10 minutes hard as the main effort. I also completed a full set of drills and strides. My arms fell asleep after the first 10 minute piece, which was a little disconcerting, but the issue resolved after my 5 minute recovery and did not happen again during the workout.I ran on my own today and I am happy for a bit of a break. Sometimes I need to withdraw a bit and run a workout on my own. It gives me a chance to think a bit and organize my mind. I guess it would be my defrag run (I have a iMac so I do not defrag anymore, does anyone?). It is also nice to hit the park and run hard without worrying about making a pace time. A broken up section is not quite as boring or tedious as a long tempo and is mentally much easier to complete. There is something depressing about having my timer go off after 5 minutes only knowing that I have 45 minutes more to go in the tempo. When I am tired and just wanting to get through the tempo it is especially daunting. I am going to try and enjoy the sunshine today. Tomorrow I am back to long run in preparation for the Scotia Bank Half Marathon. I am pretty excited to long run tomorrow as I am planning on running out to UBC to watch the Triathlon. I have a few friends racing so it will be fun. I am back cycling to work and it kind of makes me want to triathlon again. Oh goodness, the outdoor pools open next weekend as well. I am very excited to start swimming outdoors again. I love May 2-4!

Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment