Monday, April 12, 2010

The Week Gone By

Holy cow! I have had a good week since my melancholy Tuesday last.

I will spare most of the details only to report that training is back on track with two great workouts and a nice long run on Sunday. I also can report that I love my new place and I hope to have a first slate of 'before and after' photos soon. I just need to reupholster my chairs and they are almost finito. They could use another coat of paint but I am a bit tired of painting chairs at the moment so I will wait a bit.

There are aspects of living in a new environment that offer both opportunity and make some realities apparent. I am enjoying my new commute to work and my closeness to the 'gay village' (even though I rarely get checked out or even have someone make eye contact with me). I like the energy of my new place and the reaction I am getting when people pop in for a visit. The view is truly breathtaking. I am also enjoying the new starting point for my runs. I get a bit extra mileage on my workout days and I also have a new starting point for my tempo.

One reality that has become apparent though is my love of being alone. I have always had a bit of a tendency to spend a lot of time alone. I am not a person who is afraid of being with their own thoughts and I think this personality trait is what leads me to be a proficient runner. I am very comfortable spending the weekend holed up in my apartment painting and reading (I finally finished War and Peace and bought two new books today!) and relaxing. I do not feel the need to always be surrounded by people or out and about. This might become a problem.

The thing is; although I do not necessarily believe I will ever fall in love I still wanted to fall in love. Initially, moving into my new apartment, I was thinking how much I wanted to share this place with a special love. Last night, after a nice dinner with some friends, I enjoyed a glass of wine and finished my Globe and Mail. At one point I realized that I was perfectly content being alone, cozy on my sofa without any obligations or anyone to distract me. If I am this comfortable in my own place will I ever have the opportunity to meet someone or further put myself in a position to meet a love?

For the time being I am going to enjoy my solitude and relish basking in my view. I feel a bit monastic but I think this is good. I have always maintained that it is important for me to do what makes me happy and whatever happens, happens. I am going to run for fun (of course winning is the most fun!) and get some good weekend sleeps. I may not meet the man of my dreams but I do not need a man to make me happy. I already am.

Happy Training!

1 comment:

  1. Another great post, J. D. I love the way you write, and I love your sensibility.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete