Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kismet

What do you believe in?

Do you believe in Fate? Do you believe in destiny? What do you believe in?

I went to a thought provoking play tonight at the Cultch, here in Vancouver. If you get the chance ensure you drop by and check it out. It was called Kismet-One to One Hundred. To summarize the play was an adaptation of a series of interviews of people from the ages of 1 to 100 about different life questions culminating with "What do you believe in?" Check out the recruitment video.

The actors/authors of the play managed to amass an eclectic group of participants and used multimedia to relate their stories. The play was a non-fiction display of creativity and unconventional story telling. And each of the stories was riveting. In our current time with technology reducing our attention span to mere seconds this play exploited this phenomena and provided a method of providing lived experiences without boredom or staid restraint. It is rare that I see a work that really makes me think about life and the directions we take. This play accomplished this task.

When the question was posed, "what do you believe in?", I started thinking. As I listened and watched the responses I thought of how I would respond. At first I thought, I don't know what I believe in. Then, I believe in I can do anything, I believe in me. Then there was a response in the play where one of the actors said something along the lines of 'If you only believe in yourself then you have nothing, or your life sucks' (huge paraphrase, this is the message I heard). Ouch. I thought some more. What do I believe in?

I believe in everything. I believe we are surrounded by beauty but there are only a few of us who actually take the time to notice it. I believe in the power of individuals to work together to make change. I believe in fate. I believe in love.



I also believe in running. Yesterday I ran my tempo and it was good. I felt surprisingly strong although I felt in slow motion during my warm up. I think this is a consequence of cycling home from work. I ran 45 minutes at tempo pace. I constantly have to slow myself down when I am running a tempo. I have a tendency to get a bit excited and then push my pace towards slow interval pace. This is not the point of a tempo and I have to continue to remind myself of this. I need to stay relaxed during my runs and this has become my new goal for tempo. Controlled yet relaxed. Today I hit the gym for some weights and core. Tomorrow I am excited to hit Stanley for an interval workout.

Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment