Friday, April 2, 2010

Fuel

I learned a lesson last night. My body needs fuel.

Yesterday was a crazy day as I worked the morning, moved in the afternoon and then ran a tough workout. Through all my crazy busyness I forgot to eat anything substantial and thus found myself at workout both exhausted and starving. I was seeing stars before the workout even started so I was less then enthusiastic to run a 5km interval followed by a 2.5 km interval.

I ran approximately 10 seconds over pace time for the first interval. Considering how I felt over a long interval I was not disappointed. I did not feel bad per se not did I feel like I was running slow. I felt like I was running as fast as I could and not moving as fast as usual. I could not get my heart rate up and my cardiovascular system could not rev up to support my starving muscles. I was having a bit of trouble staying on my feet after the interval with nausea and dizziness. After a nice recovery I was relieved to start the second interval. Half way through the interval I was pushing as hard as I could. I started to panic a bit as I began to worry about having enough energy to make it home. I do not think I have ever been in the middle of a workout/interval with panic about being able to make it home later in day. I thought about dropping out but then I realized dropping out would add more time to my run so I kept running as hard as I could to finish the workout. It turns out I ran below pace time for my last effort which was a bit of a surprise.

I was so tired at this workout I thought I was going to puke then pass out in the woods. The thing is, I used to feel like this at every workout in university. No wonder I could not manage to improve. There are a lot of factors that have influenced my improvement over the past couple of years. I believe getting my diet under control is a huge aspect. Not only am I currently eating more then the average man but I am also way leaner. It is awesome.

Today's blog photos are courtesy of Rick Horne. They are from the race last weekend. I think it is hilarious that I get more elevation with my running stride then I do when I actually try to jump. These are also the first photos where I have noticed a bit of biceps. The gym is starting to pay off!

Happy Easter! A great long weekend for some...

...Happy Training!

2 comments:

  1. Hubba hubba! Pics of your new place please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay
    Just wanted to take a moment to tell you how much I enjoyed navigating through your blog.
    Best, ChristopherYVR

    ReplyDelete