Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ski Day!

Oh balance

Now that I am planning on not running the marathon I do not have to be as rigid with my training. With that in mind I took the opportunity to go skiing today in Whistler. It was awesome! I am more tired now then I would have been if I had a quiet day in the city but it is well worth it!

I often wonder what inspires people when they are thinking of the names of ski runs. Today I was quite amused/repulsed by "Cougar Milk". Please don't make me drink the cougar milk.

One of the best things about spending a day on the mountain is the apres ski. There are few better feelings in life then prying bruised and battered legs out of Lange ski boots. A good Kilkenny on an outdoor patio a breath away from the mountains is truly a luxury that I hope to have for a long time.

A friend of mine made a comment about balance. Balance is interesting. I do not necessarily believe in a 'balanced life' as is portrayed in a self help book. I believe people should participate in the activities that give their life meaning. If working 14 hours a day to the exclusion of everything else makes you feel you are meaningful in this world then I am not one to pass judgment on your choices. In certain ways I wish I could put running in a bit of a box and not think about it as much as I do. I tend to be an all or nothing type of person though, and if I am going to do something I am going to try and do the best I can do. When running at an elite level stops being meaningful for me then I will stop. It is losing it's meaning as I am realizing I have missed a large part of certain developmental milestones due in part to running.

There may be a 'catch 22' in all of this. I think if I had a dear love in my life who was there to look for me and care if I get battered then I would be more able to relax towards running. I also believe that to meet a certain love and be able to maintain a relationship I would have to abandon running at the level I currently enjoy. The gay world is a funny world and I am afraid I have yet to figure it out. It does not make sense to me and nor am I able to navigate it's rocky waves. I am a bit seasick from all the navigating.

For now I am going to put the marathon on hold and enjoy running. I had a great workout on Thursday and I am looking forward to getting consistent again. The times on the track are still getting faster so I am going to go with it and enjoy the fun.

Oh balance. I have the cliche balanced life except for one thing. The one thing missing leaves a bit of a sting but otherwise I am beyond fortunate to have all that I have been blessed with.

Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment