Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Goal

Every day I wake up in the morning with a goal, and 9 times of 10 I accomplish that goal.


It just so happens that the goal I wake up with is in regards to my obsession, running. One of the best things about running is that although there is a giant goal at the end of all the training, every day we get to accomplish a little goal. I enjoy achieving my goals and it makes me feel a lot better about myself when I do. Today's goal was a 15 mile long run. Goal accomplished.

Like a continuous dripping of water on a piece of granite, small goals over time can create great change. By keeping the big picture in sight while succeeding with the little goals we can not only accomplish a huge goal but also boost our confidence along the way. I absolutely love the feeling of hitting my times in a workout or seeing my building at the end of a long run. Although tired after a long run I feel a glow of fulfillment that lasts throughout the day. I also find it useful how sometimes the most satisfaction comes from the most challenging goal. As an example, on the days I make it to the gym before work I feel like I could conquer the world for the remainder of the day. Even the soreness of my chest or quads provides a memento of the goal I had already accomplished while most others were still in bed. I love goal setting and I love accomplishing my goals even more!

I have to be honest. I have had a tough past few weeks. The past weeks have caused me to take a step back and really evaluate my goals in my life and how I want to feel. I am feeling like I am heading in a new direction. I recognize that it is impossible to be happy all the time. I believe sadness and disappointment provide opportunities to evaluate the life we live and make changes for the better. And besides, how would we know we are happy if we were never sad? I think 2010 is going to be a good one.

Mileage
Wednesday: 8 Miles
Saturday: 8 Miles
Weekly Total: 56 Miles

Sunday: 15 miles

Happy Training!

1 comment:

  1. Getting a workout while everyone is sleeping is priceless. I love that feeling in the morning.

    Here's to 2010 being one of the best years ever :)

    ReplyDelete