Thursday, November 5, 2009

Exhaustion

Do you ever remember a time when you woke up feeling well rested and alert? Does the sound of your alarm in the morning cause you eyes to roll back in your head in order to open? Do you long for sleep? I do.

I honestly do not remember the last time I felt rested. For the life of me I cannot recall waking up in the morning feeling well rested and ready to attack the day. I wake up tired every morning with the thought of calling in to work sick. I dutifully ease myself out of bed with my eyes closed and slowly shuffle and limp, arms outstretched to find the walls, to the bathroom. As I slowly open my eyes to the painful white lights I see only two black eyes with large bags and sunken jowls. Typically, I am so useless when I wake up, that I need to pack my lunch and lay out my clothes the night before. I long to wake up in the morning and look great with tonnes of energy.

Running and racing takes a lot of energy. It is difficult to explain the exhaustion that comes with training. It is a tired that aches in the bones, lingers through out the day, and is resolved through more training. The only time I feel good when I am running high mileage is when I am actually running. When I am generally fatigued I do not ever feel rested, not even when running. I have been feeling this way the last few weeks. I need to sleep and rest my body.

The thing is, I am not alone. The work world is filled with people who are in one state or another of exhaustion. If one is younger they are tired because they are going out in the evenings and on weekends while maintaining a party schedule similar to university. The mid range peeps are up all night for a number of possible reasons ranging from young children crying and needing feedings or the despair of an impending divorce. The elder folk do not sleep due to sleep apnea or stressing over their older children. We are all exhausted.

I think it is time to work less and live the 'dulce vida'. When I think of Europe and their relaxed lifestyle with ample siestas my heart grows green with envy. It would be so wonderful to work a few hours, meet friends for some dinner with a nice red wine then nap for an hour before returning to work. Finish the day shortly after 5 and head home for a late dinner at 8 followed by drinks at the local pub until midnight. How lovely. As it stands now I am totally exhausted and ready for bed.

Time to go to sleep!

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream, make him the cutest that I've ever seen!

Happy Training!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about being tired all the time! That's where latte's come in handy. And referring to your previous blog post, shopping always puts me in a better mood as well! Are you going to share with us the price tag on that lovely sweater from Holt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! It is really nice and worth every penny! Less then $400, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete